The Resident Youth Ensemble
About the Resident Youth Ensemble 2013-2014
The Resident Youth Ensemble at Stoneham Theatre offers advanced theatrical training 10th through 12th grade students with previous involvement in Stoneham Theatre or the young company who have been invited to join because of the passion, skill, and leadership they have demonstrated for or in theatre. Their acceptance is determined based on written applications and recommendations from staff and teaching artists.
Below you will find more information about the rights and responsibilities involved in membership. Please consider carefully whether this project is the right one for you at this time. We ask members to consider RYE their number one priority through the year of their involvement, notifying other projects that the Monday 6:00-9:00 PM time frame is sacrosanct. We will prepare letters for everyone to bring to their high school drama teachers and other important adults.
What is involved in being part of RYE for the 2013-2014 season?
- Monday evenings from 6:00-9:00 PM, RYE members attend pre-professional training at the theatre. The first half of each session, from 6:00-7:30 PM will be modeled on conservatory training: first building ensemble, then progressing through Stanislavski training, various master classes, classical text, and directing especially helpful for those students considering applying to a B.F.A. program for further study.
- In the second half of each training session, (7:45-9:00 PM), we offer a mix of advanced-level classes led by various teaching artists.
- RYE members complete one to two hours a week of apprenticeship under the theatre staff. Past projects have included updating the company's social media outlets, reading script submissions, and assisting the production department. We offer internships that can be completed at home or at the theatre; please let us know if you have a preference.
- Seeing theatre! All RYE members see all Mainstage and young company shows for free, both this season and until they graduate from high school. RYE members are required to attend the opening nights of each Mainstage show, after which they are invited to join the opening night party with the cast, crew, and theatre staff.
Any other opportunities?
Yes, in addition to all the great classes and the free tickets, we’ll have several opportunities open to RYE members including, paid positions teaching the overture program on Saturday mornings or the school vacation workshops and first opportunity to audition for teen roles in our Mainstage shows like Miracle on 34th Street and The Secret Garden.
Is there a cost?
Yes, membership in the Resident Youth Ensemble is $395 for the entire year of 32 classes and free tickets to all young company and Mainstage shows. However, financial hardships should not be a barrier to participation and scholarships are available. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
When deciding to apply for membership in the Resident Youth Ensemble, the applicant is committing to attend 28 of the 32 sessions of the Resident Youth Ensemble. The applicant also agree to 1-2 hours of weekly internship work with Stoneham Theatre staff. Foremost, the applicant agrees to dedicate his or herself to his or her own education and that of the fellow members of the Resident Youth Ensemble. As Spiderman’s Uncle Ben says, “With great power comes great responsibility.” We want a corps of dedicated and passionate individuals-we hope you might be one of them.
Resident Youth Ensemble schedule 2013-2014
Required Monday Evening RYE meetings, 6:00-9:00 PM
- 6:00-7:30 PM with RYE members and directors
- 7:45-9:00 PM with outside instructors and additional class participants
- Beginning September 9, 2013; ending June 16, 2014; no RYE: 10/14/13; 11/11/13; 12/23/13-1/27/14; 2/17/14; 4/21/14; 5/26/14.
Required Saturday Opening Nights of Mainstage shows with parties!
- Seminar, September 14, 2013
- Jekyll&Hyde, October 26, 2013
- Something’s Afoot, March 1, 2014
- Unbleached American, April 12, 2014
- Secret Garden, May 17, 2014
- September 9th, full group retreat
- September 16th-November 18th: Fall 1 semester
- November 25th-December 16th: Fall 2 semester
- February 3rd-24th: Winter semester
- March 3-April 28th: Spring semester
- May 5-June 16th: Spring 2 semesters
Preparation for RYE Sharing/ performances
TBD, evenings from 6-9pm the week of Monday, June 9th through Saturday, June 14th
RYE Sharing/ performances
Sunday, June 15th and Monday, June 16th at 7:00 PM
young company media sponsor